Salary; £52,495 to £54,721
25 days holiday – increased to 30 after 5 years service. Plus 8 Bank Holidays
Pension scheme- with a generous employer contribution
Buy additional leave top up scheme
Flexible working options
Our Client is looking for Principal Engineer to join their team on a permanent basis.
You will provide an efficient, safe & effective Head of ‘Engineering’ function within the Docks to ensure that the infrastructure of the Docks is correctly maintained. Provide professional & practical expertise and strategic direction to all engineering & dredging matters within the Docks and the engineering team.
To provide systems & advice for Health & Safety regulations & EMAS/ ISO14001 considerations within the Docks.
Key job outcomes/accountabilities
- Undertake the duties of Principal Engineer to ensure the effective functioning of all the Docks machinery, equipment & infrastructure ensuring, as Harbour Authority, the legal obligations are met in respect of all Harbour Acts & Orders & Byelaws.
- Be accountable for, control & define tasks duties & work programmes for staff & contractors under your control to ensure point 1 is achieved – including oversight of and managing maintenance and capital works on docks hydraulic, electrical and mechanical operational assets.
- Undertake Health & Safety responsibilities for the Docks Team by researching & applying current legislative requirements on risk assessments, COSHH assessments, safe working practices, systems of work, safety training & record keeping.
- To organise the systematic inspection, repair, servicing & maintenance of the dock installations & bridges to ensure safe & reliable operation, and ensure that any breakdowns become operational with a minimum of delay.
- To provide the harbour manager with accurate & detailed information pertaining to Docks asset condition, risks and issues pertaining to engineering infrastructure and flood risk management (including emergency response requirements), and
- budgetary/capital expenditure pressures applying best-practise as appropriate.
- Ensure that the ‘Engineering’ element of the Docks budget is kept within the limits defined & set in agreement with the Harbour Manager through effective budget management and forecasting.
- Carry out the procurement & purchasing of contract services, technical goods, equipment & consumables, and maintain an effective storage & stock control system for raw materials, consumable & spare parts obtaining the best value.
- Establish, review & maintain a library of instructions, manuals & safety audit systems & procedures pertinent to engineering, swing bridge & dredging matters. Ensure these cover all engineering infrastructure to enable system resilience; and that these are
- tested, inspected & updated as required – working with Highways team on bridge maintenance and operations.
- Recruit, select & induct new recruits; input and lead any associated team restructure; and provide staff with CPD opportunities and performance reviews
- Minimum BEng (Hons) or equivalent demonstrable industry experience in related engineering discipline.
- Proven track record of significant post degree experience in a related engineering discipline including site experience & experience of financial & personnel management.
- Must have a Health &Safety qualification equivalent to NEBOSH certificate, and experience of the operation of Safe Working Procedures & Permits to Work.
- Team leadership/supervisory experience of a multi-disciplined team, including experience in capital and revenue budget management and task management & control with skilled/semi-skilled workers & contractors working on mechanical, hydraulic and electrical engineering infrastructure.
- Experience/qualifications in: FLT/telehandler/chainsaw/plasma cutting/gas cutting/welding/milling/drilling/fabrication/lathe work/carpentry.
- Experience of Planned Preventative Maintenance & QA systems.
- Experience of Swing Bridge maintenance or Dredging techniques.
- Experience/qualifications in: Confined space working, First Aid provision.
- Must be able to swim.
- A full driving license.
- Working knowledge of and skills in mechanical/hydraulic/marine/electrical maintenance in a docks environment.
- Have a demonstrable ability to work with complex task management controls & asset management software systems, and apply Health & Safety standards & risk assessments and risk management (incl. RAMS protocols) in a docks environment.
- Have a demonstrable ability to problem solve in unexpected & unplanned situations, involving multiple agencies/individuals, showing a decisive & confident approach.
- Must be willing to respond to out-of-hours emergencies on a call-out system.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and/or experience of equalities and diversity issues.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications or equivalent including the following: Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, and have a willingness to learn new applications and technology as appropriate.
If this role is of interest and you meet the above criteria, then please apply immediately